Saturday, August 16, 2014

Heaven Adores You: An Elliott Smith Documentary (The First Few Minutes)

The first few minutes of the Elliott Smith documentary Heaven Adores You Heaven Adores You is a documentary film by Nickolas Rossi about the astoundingly talented musician Elliott Smith, born Steven Paul Smith (1969-2003). AFI Docs has released the first few minutes of the film: The music of Smith is important to so many people, I think, because it is honest while expressing and encapsulating moments wherein words might otherwise fail. Smith's most famous song is probably "Miss Misery" from the Gus Van Sant film Good Will Hunting which Smith performed at the 70th Academy Awards, March 23, 1998. The sensitive "Indie" singer-songwriter tune placed on a soundtrack has since become a bit of an "in joke" among music lovers and film aficionados alike, but the song is absolutely stunning. But my favorite Smith song is "A Passing Feeling" from his posthumously released album From a Basement on the Hill. Elliott Smith is quoted about his "fame" as follows, (with a statement to which I empathize for other reasons), “The less I think about it, the happier I am. I don’t really care where I fit into anything, or if there’s anything to fit into to. It’s just, I like music, you know? That’s the thing. It’s really uncomplicated.”

No comments: