Saturday, August 16, 2008

Finally... Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE FABULOUS STAINS DVD 9/16/08

I've been waiting for a long time for this blast from my past. I'm sure I've seen it multiple times since it's release, but it hasn't ever been properly issued. I had a bad vhs copy, then bought a bootleg one, then VH1 played it ONCE - yes once. Well Rhino finally got with the program and will release it next month.

For those of you who haven't seen it - it's a pre-riot grrl riot film about an all girl band that is punk and becomes a phenomenon and sells out. But I don;t want to give it all away for those of you who have yet to see it. Corinne (Third Degree) Burns is played by Diane Lane. She and her sister and cousin (if memory serves) start a band to escape their nowhere lives in their nowhere town. Laura Dern playes one of The Stains. They wear outrageous (for the time) costumes and hairstyles and their rapidly growing fan base call themselves "Skunks." It blew me away as a youngin' and I thought it was the coolest movie I had ever seen. I know some of you also wathed USA Nightflight.

Also: Steve Jones and Paul Cook of The Sex Pistols and Paul Simonon (bass, The Clash) appear as members of the punk band for whom The Stains initially open, and Fee Waybill of the Tubes plays a classic rocking old fart who od's.

You can pre-order it here.

http://www.rhino.com/prod/511847

No comments: