Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Free Amanda Palmer, Actually She's Free and Celebrating

You may donate money to download the new Amanda Palmer song "The Truth" or pay nothing.

<a href="http://amandapalmer.bandcamp.com/album/the-truth">Do You Swear To Tell The Truth The Whole Truth And Nothing But The Truth So Help Your Black Ass by Amanda Palmer</a>

From Amanda Palmer's blog:
FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST (Dear Roadrunner Records…)

dear The World,

i am very happy to announce today that i have finally been released from my contract with roadrunner records.

as many of you know, i’ve been fighting very, very hard to get off the label for the better part of two years.
for the past seven years, anything i have written and recorded (solo or with my band, The Dresden Dolls) has technically been owned and under the ultimate control of the label, but no longer.
after endless legal bullshit, it’s over, i’ve been DROPPED, RELEASED, LET GO, whatever you wanna call it. in other words: i am FREE AT LAST!!!!!! RAAHH!!

as many of you know, i’ve been a very vocal advocate of artists being fearless in asking their audience and supporters for direct financial help.
i come from a background of grassroots theater and street performance, and i think that artists should feel no shame while passing the hat around once they’ve entertained a crowd of people.
it’s been a huge and obvious irony that i have been legally unable to ask for money for my music, since it’s been verboten by my contract with roadrunner.

now that i’m unshackled, i plan on doing a lot of really awesome and creative things with my songs and how people can pay for them - or, better yet, donate - now that i have control over my stuff.

a lot of people have asked me if i have any regrets about signing with a major label. the answer: no.
below you will find a goodbye letter i have written to roadrunner.

for right now & in celebration of this great event, i am very pleased to be able to - for the first time since the year 2003 - offer you this track from my house to yours….legally and free of charge.
if you should feel inclined to “donate” more than the bare minimum (ZERO/FREE), you can do that too.
even if you only donate a symbolic dollar, i’ll see every single cent of it (after paypal transaction fees, of course).

i wrote this song a few months ago, and didn’t know it would be used for this purpose, but it’s pretty perfect.
nobody had heard it up until a few days ago except for neil gaiman (my man) and tom dickins (my dear australian friend)…i played it for them in my house right after i wrote it.
they liked it, so i’m gonna give it to you…BECAUSE I CAN. (can you visualize me doing my happy crack dance as i write this??)

last friday, i booked an afternoon in my friend owen’s cambridge recording studio and recorded it with the help of my friends jason webley (who’s in town for our upcoming EVELYN EVELYN tour) on guitar and my friend sam kulik (who had unwittingly texted that morning to see if we wanted lunch. we asked him to come over and play trombone. he did! sam rocks.)

this whole exercise may not seem like a big deal to you (artists put up music for free all the time), but for years i have not legally been allowed to put a song on a website and say: I JUST DID THIS, GO DOWNLOAD IT. it’s been illegal. i am so happy i can finally make music and just GIVE IT AWAY.

SO GO TAKE IT, PLEASE.

No comments: