Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Jake Luppen Releases Two New Songs From New Album Lupin

 Jake Luppen (Hippo Campus) has released two new songs (and videos) from his upcoming  album Lupin. The album was produced by BJ Burton (Bon Iver, Low, Charli XCX) and features synth programming from Jim-E Stack and Buddy Ross. Both"Vampire" and "Murderer" were directed by frequent Bon Iver collaborator Aaron Anderson.

Pre-save/Pre-order Lupin LP, out 10/9 on Grand Jury Music here.

 

"With this record I wanted to get to the point, and say how things were, as opposed to dancing around them.”
- Jake Luppen


“Vampire” speaks to Jake's experience when he was told about a lump in his brain. Luppen explained, "I was fully under the impression that I was dying when I wrote this – I had gotten a CT scan a couple weeks before that revealed a mass in my brain, which led me to believe that I had brain cancer or some form of Parkinson's. When you’re reminded of your morality there’s a recklessness that creeps up. I found myself willfully doing things I knew I would end up regretting.”  
 




 
And “Murder” deals with a death of a different sort. Luppin elaborates, “I had been living alone in a house that I used to share with my ex, so the lyrics were inspired by all of the things she left behind. One day I literally packed everything that reminded me of our relationship into boxes and shoved them in my closet. It felt like a funeral." 
 
 
He felt the album gave him permission to stretch out a bit personally and to try things he hadn't tried within the context of a band. He explains,“I spent a lot of time thinking I had to hide behind other people or other things, but I realized, ‘No, I’m fully capable of doing this myself, I’m fully capable of having this vision.” Luppen explains. “I didn’t think that I was but no, there was this whole other part of myself I’d been stowing away out of fear this entire time.”
 


No comments: