Saturday, June 21, 2008

Be Your Own Pet

The name of this blog is taken from the line "This is my happening and it freaks me out" spoken by Z-Man in the camp classic film Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. The reason for this blog is not having to conform to one genre or medium. I can write about music, and I will, but I can choose to write about anything because, well, it's my happening. I chose this medium because I don’t want to answer to an editor. Hopefully my talented friends will occasionally contribute their happenings as this grows (or fizzles - depending).


There is a fantastic new album by Be Your Own Pet called Get Awkward which was produced by Steve McDonald of power pop/rock/kitsch masters Redd Kross. I think it deserves a proper review, but I'm feeling lazy at the moment. Suffice to say it's catchy and fresh and funny and it rocks. It's worth your money - which is more than can be said of a lot of recent albums. It’s like an afterschool special gone bad and back to good again. It should be bought by you and you. (If two people are in fact reading this). The album Get Awkward has a song appropriate for this blog. So enjoy "The Kelly Affair" http://www.mediafire.com/?e54hkb0aj2g


Enjoy the download and buy the Be Your Own Pet album Get Awkward. The ep Get Damaged has songs that were edited from the album for U.S. consumption. Tongue in cheek apparently is over the heads of the current musical climate in America. The official word is "The band was given the option of recording the tracks without the offending lyrics or taking them off the album. Not wanting to give up artistic control they chose the latter and thus off the album came"Becky," a song about kicking the ass of your former best friend, the nihilistic "Black Hole" and "Blow Yr Mind" which is about just that." XL Recordings picked up Universal’s slack and released the ep Get Damaged with the aforementioned “violent” material. It's too ridiculous. I suppose singing about guns and drugs and poppin’ coochies is okay, but not if you're in a partially female rock band? Come on who doesn’t want to hear about "bffs" and chick fights? It served the Shangri-Las well. In fact - here is a gem of a song by the Shangri-Las that I feel has been neglected in favor of their more popular fare. It has dancing, boys, and an indescribable squeal. What more could one want? I give you The Shangri-Las Sophisticated Boom Boom:
http://www.mediafire.com/?plw1omcnsx3

No comments: