Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Coconut Records Download Available

Okay, so normally I am vehemently against actors releasing albums. I mean, I'm not even going to talk about the debacles of Bruce Willis or Joe Pesci. Crap I just did. But really - you're a famous actor - revel in your good fortune and don't unleash your vanity projects upon an unsuspecting world. Ya hear me? Well, I give actor Jason Schwartzman a free pass, because the music he creates is really good. It warms the heart and makes you feel a bit tingly. Tingly in a happy way, not in a sexual way, or in a "my foot is asleep, please stomp on it" way. In fact, I heard the album and loved it before I knew it was Jason Schwartzman's music. And not that I have an anti Schwartzman agenda, I like what I've seen of his films, (which means Wes Anderson projects and I Heart Huckabees), but I'm no afficienado of all things Jason.

So...

In case you didn't know... "Coconut Records is the name of a musical solo project by Jason Schwartzman based in Los Angeles, California. Schwartzman began Coconut Records in 2006. The debut album by Coconut Records, Nighttiming, was released on Schwartzman's Young Baby Records in 2007." The debut album was really great. Honest.

The new album is available as a stream on myspace or as a digital download via AmieStreet.com. I listened to some of it briefly yesterday and really enjoyed it. You might have heard the single "West Coast" from the debut release Nightiming. Apparently it's getting popular now -- better late than never huh? It was played in the film Cloverfield - which I didn't see, because I'm a dorky movie snob. Here's the "West Coast" video. It's a sweet song. Sweet as in lovely - not as in "sweet dude." You Can Buy Coconut Records Stuff Here



The new album Davy has a release date listed as January 20. Lookee here:

No comments: