Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Do You Realize That The Flaming Lips Have An Official State Song?

"Do You Realize" was voted Oklahoma's official rock song. An Oklahoma Historical Society exhibit, Another Hot Oklahoma Night will open May 2 at the Oklahoma History Center. The song will reportedly be used during opening ceremonies.

Flaming Lips singer Wayne Coyne (present for the official announcement), reportedly let out a "Yeah!", as opposed to a "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah." He added "People will remark sometimes how much the Flaming Lips have done for Oklahoma, but I really think it is the other way around." Coyne further remarked, "What would the Flaming Lips be if they didn't come from Oklahoma? It's like Santa Claus coming from the North Pole."

Also included in the vote:

* “Heartbreak Hotel,” co-written by Oklahoma teacher Mae Boren Axton and recorded by Elvis Presley

* “Let’s Have a Party,” recorded by Wanda Jackson

* “Walk, Don’t Run” recorded by the Ventures

* “After Midnight,” written and recorded by Oklahoman J.J. Cale and re-released by Eric Clapton

* “Never Been to Spain,” by Oklahoman Hoyt Axton and made famous by Three Dog Night

* “Home Sweet Oklahoma,” written and recorded by Leon Russell “Oklahoma,” by the Call

* “Move Along,” by the All-American Rejects

* “Endless Oklahoma Sky,” by John Moreland and the Black Gold Band

According to Rolling Stone, Wayne Coyne says Arcade Fire are pricks.
"I'm a fan of them on one level, but on another level I get really tired of their pompousness. We've played some shows with them and they really treat people like shit. Whenever I've been around them, I've found that they not only treated their crew like shit, they treated the audience like shit. They treated everybody in their vicinity like shit. I thought, "Who do they think they are?" I don't know why people put up with it. I wouldn't put up with it. I don't care if it's Arcade Fire or Brian Eno. If either of them walked into a room and treated people like shit I'd be like, "Fuck you, get outta here."

"People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it. Those sort of opinions change my view of their music. They have good tunes, but they're pricks, so fuck 'em. Who does Arcade Fire think they are? I've been around groups. I've been around the Edge from U2 and he's the fucking sweetest guy ever. I was around Justin Timberlake when he was young and he was just a normal, nice, kind person. Anyone can be polite and kind and people who have the privilege and money and attention should understand that. If they don't, then fuck 'em."

No comments: