Friday, January 8, 2010

News From Deerhoof

Courtesy of KRS and Greg Saunier:

“Deerhoof was supposed to a West Coast tour with Cornelius last year but when our main show in Mexico City got canned due to H1N1, we never got the chance. Finally last month Satomi and I met members of Cornelius in Tokyo and they said 'sorry'. The Plastic Ono Band had just played and they were in it, along with Yuka Honda (of Cibo Matto), Sean Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Ono's music to me is very close to total purity. She seems to have no content in her songs and no plan in her performance. She just reacts to the situation, reflects the feeling in the room. It takes nerves of steel to do what she does. I'm never moved by any kind of music in the same way I am moved by traditional folk musics, but Yoko Ono is an exception.

Sean Lennon has supported Deerhoof for a long time. He told me he saw us at Coachella but I was too distracted at the time because Danny DeVito was standing right next to the stage the whole time we were playing. I loved his movie DEATH TO SMOOCHY so I was nervous - my old high school friend Ed Norton played a character that totally reminded me of Daniel Smith, a Deerhoof hero. Anyway, Sean's new band GAOSTT is amazing, their songs go in totally unpredictable directions, like if The Shins decided to get even more complicated in their songwriting instead of James Mercer going the simplification route i.e. Broken Bells."


Deerhoof will open for Yoko Ono at the Fox Theater in Oakland on February 23.

No comments: