Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Dead Weather (Yeah, Yeah," Jack White's New band")

Okay, this is the new band that people insist upon referring to as Jack White's new band. Personally I think that's insulting to the other band members, but then we are a celebrity obsessed culture, (as much as I try to rub my red shoes together and wish it weren't so). The Dead Weather consist of Alison Mosshart (The Kills) on vocals, Jack Lawrence (The Raconteurs, The Greenhornes) on bass, and former touring member of The Raconteurs and Queen of the Stone - Age Dean Fertita on guitar.

Jack White produced the band's debut Horehound which will be available some time in June. There are two songs available for purchase via itunes, "Hang You From Heaven" and the Gary Numan cover "Are Friends Electric." I've also posted the videos below for those of you who prefer not to spend $1.98 on intangible tuneage. (I really miss 7" more widely accessible). I bought the itunes version, but will be on the lookout for cd and vinyl pressings. The band had one prior private performance for cool kids and industry clique types, and I am clearly neither. The show was to celebrate the opening of the new headquarters for Third man Records. However, they will perform live April 14 at The Bowery in N.Y.C. and Tickets go on sale today at noon. The band issued 150 hand painted vinyl singles with a different photo booth strip of the band members for those lucky enough to attend aforementioned shindig.

I quite like both songs. I was a bit skeptical of the Gary Numan cover, (being a big fan of the original), but I like what they've done to it. It's interesting to hear the tune with a female vocalist, but the feeling of eerie alien isolation - so vibrant on the original - is missing here. That isn't to say it's not a wonderful record. The band's sound is a bit psyche and sludge garage infused, but more modern. It's a great rock song plain and simple and it sounds genuine - which is often the most important element in music - at least for me. The guitar sound on "Hang You From the Heavens" is reminiscent of the sound White creates on The White Stripes song "Cream Soda." With Mosshart's smoky sexy voice - fans of Shirley Manson can get their fix until Manson's solo album is released this year.




Check for yourself:

"Are Friends Electric"




Reportedly, Third Man plans to focus on vinyl. Ah it does my heart good to hear that. White was quoted, in fact, on Rolling Stone.com as commenting "there’s a studio, there’s a vinyl record label, there’s a pressing plant a few blocks away… Things can happen very quickly. Music will be in your hands quickly. And that’s the whole point of it.” So those of you without turntables, or (like me) needing to replace their needles - get thee to thine local d.j. headquarters. Let's hope the trend toward mre vinyl releases continues - as does the support of indie record shops.

I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it.

No comments: