Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Stuart Murdoch (Belle and Sebastian) God Help the Girl

God Help The Girl, the new album by Stuart Murdoch (Belle and Sebastian) will be released June 23. The vinyl single "Come Monday Night" will be available May 11. The album is described as "a story set to music" upon which Murdoch has been working for five years. Belle and Sebastian serves as the band.

Commenting upon the album's beginnings, Murdoch said, "I was out for a run and I got this tune in my head and it occurred to me that it wasn't a Belle & Sebastian song. I could hear female voices and strings, I could hear the whole thing, but I just couldn’t envisage myself singing it with the group.” He further explains the material, “All the time I was touring with Belle and Sebastian, I was putting aside songs for certain characters,” he says, “and at one point I realised, that it would make sense to string them together to form the backbone of a musical narrative.”

An Introduction to the album:




Sarah Collins "God Help The Girl"


God Help The Girl - Faye Schmid's audition tape


You may download an mp3 of "Come Monday Night" if you enter your email at www.GodHelpTheGirl.com.

Trivia: Nine singers were recorded while creating this album, including Neil Hannon (Divine Comedy) and Asya (Smoosh).

Catherine Ireton who appeared on the sleeve art for "The White Collar Boy" auditioned to sing for God Help The Girl.

No comments: